IODC

by - 12:42 AM

IPB Open Debating Competition.

My first debating competition ever. 

for me, debating is just like a shortcut for being a good speaker in english. because as debaters, first you should bring yourself, at least try to speak in english. and beyond that, you should be able to deliver your thought, your opinion, and your argument also. it's very complicated so that its never crossed my mind before that I would join this kind of competition. 

but then I survived.

:") my first thought was never about winning or losing, but;

'could I even pass this alive?'

the motions were told a week before the competition. from green campus issue until trophy wives (that was the hardest motion ever because we never heard about this phrase before). 1965 human right violation, agriculture graduates, parliament quota for minority groups.. issues that maybe I wouldn't even read about if it wasn't for this. yap, they said that being a debaters means that you actually have to broaden up your knowledge about almost everything. not only about your major, but also about recent news, what is happening, history, etc. read all the data, news, and article about those 5 motions made me realize that......I was actually lacking on it. I was never know about anything before. 'kudet', something like that.

and the other hardest part for me was I had to think about my argument, how to rebute, how to stand in my position either in government or in the opposite, while actually paid attention to the speakers. it was like......my brain:( I couldn't think about my idea when in the same time I should listen to them. it was like a brand new sensation, a tough brain exercise. 

we passed three debates from the preliminary round. with just one victory point, haha (at least i'm survived I'm alive yay). the announcement for the semifinal round was held on the next day. we were just curious.... we wanted to know our score and then just go watch the public speaking seminar. my friends even already had another appointment at noon. 

but then miracle happened....the 4th seminfinalist couldn't come and we were in as the 5th rank.

alhamdulillah....

(....but those three round before were actually more than enough for having the first time experience :"))

the motion for semifinal was impromptu. it was about a licence for having a children. they gave us 30 minutes for case building session. 

our opponent team was actually really amazing. they got 3 victory point on the preliminary round. their way to deliver their arguments were just....perfect. calmly, but right to the point. we should learn much from them.  

a perfect all-kill.

but then we made it to the final round. 

........

with a big questionable reason (whyyyy it was obvious that we were losing :"""""). we were shocked. of course! I don't know. maybe the adjudicators point of view were just very different with ours. or maybe.....yaaa I don't know. but let's just say it was just a beginner luck, alhamdulillah. we have to be grateful.

the motion for the final round was about having the natural resources belong to the world (or not?). we ended up in the runner up position. all of the member in our semifinal opponent got the 1st, 2nd and 3rd best speaker (yap they're really that amazing :"))

thank you for this new experience, guys! it was really nice spending time (and brainstorming, and arguing wk) with you two.


 Martua, me, baits.
Mecha(n)tes.
kalau kata martua mekates, artinya pepaya.

You May Also Like

0 comments