Istanbul Part 1; The Historical Charm

by - 3:33 AM



Assalamualaikum.

The first time I went to Istanbul, it was my very first experience going to the other town by myself. Well, me and Anggun actually wanted to explore Istanbul while waiting for our next flight right after we arrived in Turkey. Unfortunately, we had no one to guide us, and our Turkish ability was in absolute zero. Istanbul is definitely a big city with tons of public transportation, and we believed it is not fun to be lost and miss the next flight. So, we ended up spending 13 hours doing nothing in the airport.

26th October 2018, about 25 days after I settled in my city, with barely (still) no communication ability, I went to this historical city of Istanbul. I took a night bus, brought me 12 hours all the way to Esenler Bus Station.

I enjoyed the trip as much as I enjoyed the sleep, hehe. I can sleep almost everywhere (especially during the classes), that’s why a long trip does not bother me at all.

Since cities in Turkey mostly located in the same continent, it is very easy and convenient to go everywhere by taking a bus. Even the small cities have their own station, and there are highways connecting those places. I havent found any traffic jam during the trip. Their time estimation is kinda good also. One new thing that I found, the government has this regulation where the passengers must sit together with the same gender. It is good for our own safety, and at least we dont need to worry about sitting with a random man. Their service mostly includes drink/snack during the trip, and one or two breaks in the rest area.

I spent about 2 nights in the bu Mahmudah’s place, and luckily got Shofi with me to go sightseeing. It was not a long trip though, we just went to.. Eminonu I guess? Ate a chicken sandwitch, then continued to Sultan Ahmet, where lies these famous yet very historical building, Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia.

Blue Mosque

thanks for having us!

We didnt make it inside since there was no time left, but it was fun! Promise would come back there later.

...and then I did :p

It was a very cold day in the February when I brought myself back to this city. Since I got bit plenty of time, I managed myself to arrived right at 6 am, traveled to Karakoy and bought a student transportation card. The student discout makes the transport cost getting better, fyi, if you are a student, definitely recommended to make this one.

In the 15th Century, Constantinople’s walls were widely recognized as the most formidable in all of Europe. However, back in 1453, seventy ships carried by cows and balanced by hundred of soldiers via ropes were slid over slipways in this area. Within years of struggles and battles, Ottoman soldiers led by Sultan Mehmed II (Muhammad Al Fatih) were succeeded to occupy the Golden Horn and made their Constantinople conquest right after.

It was around 10 am when I visited Dolmabahce Palace. Built in the 19th Century, it is one of the most glamorous palaces in the world. This palace were used as the administrative center of the late Ottoman Empire, and the last Ottoman Sultans were also residing there. People were mesmerized with all the crafts and details made up the whole building. Offices, prayer rooms, private rooms, halls, all of them were placed and connected in this area. They also exhibited their advancement in knowledge and science since I observed some paintings, pictures and tools depicted their research and knowledgement about our universe.


Dolmabahce Palace

I went to Suleymaniah Camii on the late afternoon, where I met two girl from Lebanon and Uygur recited Al-Kahf together. They greeted me and asked whether I want to join them, so I agreed immediately and joined on the last pages. We went to a restaurant nearby and ate right after. It warms my heart knowing that eventhough we came from different countries and speak different languages, but Al-Kahf put us together. Being on a single trip and met new friends like this made me realize that we’re really having sisters and brothers beneath the same faith, spreads all over the world.

On the second day, my friends and I went to Panorama 1453. The whole history of Constantinople’s conquest was written and depicted in words, pictures and models. It is also located near ruin of Constatinople’s wall in Topkapi Area. I was more interested seeing this historical wall though. Hundred, even thousand years ago, this wall was nearly impenetrable, the strongest among all, and it is now still standing tall within the modern city of Istanbul.

one of the strongest wall out of all

We managed to visit Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace in the end. Hagia Sophia was the biggest church constructed by the East Roman Empire in Istanbul. During this era, the Hagia Sophia was the place in which the emperors were crowned. The conquer in 1453 made this place renovated into a mosque. Additional supporting pillars were installed during the East Roman and Ottoman period. During the 16th and 17th century Ottoman period, mihrabs, mimbar, maksoorahs and preachment stand were added to the structure.

Hagia Sophia

Topkapi Palace were built between 1466 and 1478 by Sultan Mehmed II. The palace was the political center of the Ottoman Empire between 15th and 19th centuries, until they built Dolmabahce Palace and moved there. This place is full of callighraphies, crafted in most of the walls and roofs. Inside, the Holy Relics of the Prophet Muhammad and the imperial archives are still well preserved.

Topkapi Palace

Being in Istanbul; it is exactly like walking in the past, experiencing the ruins, walls, and fortresses, and palaces, all with my own eyes.

I truly love; how this city merge its historical charm and modernity altogether in one place.

My next visits would be written in the different post since it has their own special story inside. Stay tune!

You May Also Like

0 comments